As we fly through another month, it’s time to once again look back at what happened in the digital marketing world. Of course, Google and Facebook dominated the headlines once again, but Apple and Microsoft’s Bing made waves as well. Even better, we have some major announcements to share, so let’s get to it. Here are the biggest digital marketing stories of September 2020.
FAQs are the highest-performing rich result, per research
Milestone Research (via Search Engine Journal) performed a study of Google SERPs to find out exactly what type of rich results had the highest click-through rate. And after analysing 4.5 million queries, they unearthed some rather interesting information. It turns out that FAQs are the highest-performing of the bunch thanks to an average CTR of 87%! You can check out the full story at SEJ, and if you’re interested in how you can take advantage of FAQ-style rich results, our SEO experts can help. Get in touch with us today to learn more.
New Bing inspection tool arrives
Bing rolled out a new inspection tool this past month to help solve some of the most common issues reported by webmasters. As explained in an introductory blog post, the tool provides information related to index details, SEO details, and MarkUp details, as well as a live check feature. You can try out the tool at the Bing webmaster tools page.
Paid media stories
Prepare for limited Search Terms Reports in Google Ads
Google made waves in early September in the Ads space after revealing that they were limiting Search Terms Reports due to privacy concerns. According to Search Engine Land, the search giant made changes to the reports “to only include terms that a significant number of users searched for” as a way to “strengthen our protections around user data.” They didn’t specify what “significant” means, and some folks in the industry are worried about what this means moving forward.
Facebook abandons 20% text limit on ad images
The 20% text limit on Facebook ad images is officially gone, per reports from SEJ. While the social media company maintains that “ads with less than 20% text generally perform better,” they’re no longer enforcing it as a rule. Longtime FB advertisers have likely noticed that the company was loosening their grip on this rule, but now it’s truly gone. RIP 20% text limit.
Digital analytics stories
The impact of tracking prevention in all iOS and iPad browsers
This past September’s Apple Event brought about some hysteria for digital marketers when the company announced that they were releasing the next version of their iOS and iPad browsers the following day (16th September). In response to the mayhem, Google’s own Simo Ahava put together a thorough guide to explain how it all impacts folks in digital marketing and analytics. You can get the full rundown at Simo’s blog.
How to use data to drive smarter holiday season decisions
We love data here at Ayima, so you know we had to highlight this article from InfoTrust’s Pat McInerney, who outlines how you can use data to make more intelligent marketing decisions this holiday season. Specifically, he stresses the importance of using better data, stronger decision-making, and increased media efficiency. There’s a lot to unpack in his guide, and it’s all great, so head over to InfoTrust to read it.
It’s a big month for the Ayima team, as we have numerous partnerships to share with you in addition to a slate of compelling blog content. Before we share those expertly written articles, let’s take a look at the exciting partnerships we have lined up.
- Dazze Studio: By breaking away from the eCommerce sameness through original online experiences, Dazze Studio places the brand and content first with conversion always in mind.
- Series Eight: Series Eight creates websites and identities for organisations, brands and startups from a diverse range of industries including Fintech, publications, and eCommerce.
- Hedgehog Lab: With over a decade’s experience, Hedgehog Lab are a global digital product consultancy who help some of the world's biggest brands capitalise on the power of mobile.
- Band Agency: An agile, energetic and creative business with a heritage stretching back over 40 years, Band Agency deliver creative content designed to engage and trigger audience interaction.
We’re also excited to announce an upcoming webinar, “Why You Should Be Thinking About Content Design,” on 4th November 2020. It will be co-hosted with our Session Replay and Optimisation partner SessionCam. Ayima London SEO Director Martin Fennon is the guest speaker, alongside Phil Reay, who leads Insight for SessionCam.
Join them for an insightful 30-minute discussion on how and why Content Design should be top of your list, followed by a Q+A. You can pre-register your interest by emailing [email protected].
Insights posts and contributions
- Why Empathy is Important When Using Paid Social: Ayima London Senior Campaign Manager Kayleigh Richardson details just how crucial empathy is in the world of Paid Social.
- Get Your Business Started in Digital Advertising: Ayima London Campaign Director Richard Ingilby provides a 5-step plan for businesses to embrace digital.
- How to Add a List of URLs to a Segment in Adobe Analytics: Ayima East Coast Junior Analyst Brielle Silletti bids farewell to manual entry with an easy way to import lists of URLs into a segment.